I realized a few months ago that I rarely leave the house, because someone is always sleeping. And by someone, I mean people other than myself.
Everyone in the house wakes up around 6:30 am.
Paul is back down for nap around 9am, and sleeps till 11am.
Gage goes down at 12 noon, and (crossing my fingers) sleeps until 3 pm.
Piper and Nola typically turn into bitty monsters disguised in dirty princess costumes around 3 pm, and have quite time until 4:30 pm.
Somewhere in that mess, Paul takes a second nap. Usually around 2:30, and then wakes up with Gage pounces on him while he unsuspectingly snoozes in the crib.
We eat dinner around 5:30 pm, watch Wheel of Fortune at 7pm, and everyone (again, me excluded) is back in bed around 7:30pm-8pm.
Sounds like a whole lotta sleepin’ going on, doesn’t it? But really, it doesn’t feel like it, because it’s really only 25% of my kids sleeping at one time. I still have the other 75% to entertain.
But rarely does anybody sleep through the night. Instead, all four of them take shifts torturing me. On any given night, most of them sleep, most of the time. But someone is always up. I think they like to take shifts torturing me.
Last night I had a horrible Elton John earworm that kept me up past midnight. Paul was then up at 1:30am, 4am, and 5:45am to nurse.
Gage came in my bedroom around 6:30 am, asking me if I would open a bottle of Gatorade for him. Because, naturally.
I remember back when I was in college I would do everything in my power to avoid the 8am class, even the 9:10am class. My rational was that nothing good ever happened between the hours of 2am and 10am.
I was so naive to what my future held.
I think about the way I function from day to day, and wonder what kind of person I would be if I actually slept like a normal human being. Would I look younger? Would I be happier? Would I feel physically and emotionally stronger? I bet I’d be nicer.
About eight months ago, I won the most amazing bed the internet could ever giveaway because of this video. I look at my king size mattress, sitting on her fancy ergo adjustable base, wondering what it would be like to actually sleep for more than an hour at a crack.
But until then, I’ll let other people use it.
Looks pretty comfortable.
I tell myself daily that sleep is dumb. I mean really, things could be way worse. I could live in a world without coffee and Diet Coke or something.
I have perspective.
*I was compensated for this post as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All the opinions expressed here are my own.
Click here for a Kroger $2 downloadable ccoupon for ZzzQuil Sleep Aid.