warning: a mom “with many” shameless rant ahead…

So can I do a tiny whiny “woe is me” real quick? I don’t typically get all hot and bothered in these parts, but something today just tipped me off , and I’m feeling the need to get it off my postpartum chest. Also, are you still postpartum six months after giving birth? I hope so.

Maybe it was the time of day/week/month/year that set me off. But whoa girl, I was set off.

It happened at our favorite big box store. You know the one, the one where you walk in with a small list, and walk out a Benjamin poorer.

Picture it:

Me: 4 kids. Piper and Nola walking like big girls, on their own two feet. Gage in my one arm, Paul in my other. I was heavily weighted down with two tired boys.

The other woman: Two girls, approximately 13 and 10 years of age. TEENAGERS!

We walk in the store at the same time, going for the carts at the exact same moment.

She takes the one and only cart with bucket seats.

Come on, you know the one. The one with 2 bucket seats and room for another kid to sit in the typical cart kiddo spot. The cart that has room for three small kids to all wear seat belts.

She had two grown kids. i bet you anything she was headed to the tampon isle to get supplies for the month.

I had four small kids, two (if not three) that needed to be strapped down in order to shop appropriately.

She saw me, I saw here, and when our eyes me, she gave me this pity look like “beat ya this time”, as her very old girls sat in the bucket seats.

Are you serious? Is this real life?

I have 4 kids (twice as many as her). Two (or three, depending on the day) of which are babies!

So we did what we had to do, and carried on. We grabbed a “normal” cart, and made it work. Piper and Nola walked, Gage sat in the one seat, and I held Paul while I simultaneously pushing the cart.

As luck would have it, this cart snacher and I checked out at the exact same time. Guess what, her girls were walking on their own. Just like you would expect girls aged 13 and 10 to do. You know, because bucket seats with seat belts are for babies.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that carts are equal opportunists. Nowhere does it say: “save these carts for moms of many, the more the better. You know, the crazy-looking and tired type.”

Nope, a solo shopping party can use any cart they want, I know.

7604163764 49e2134f4c warning: a mom with many shameless rant ahead...

But honestly. If I saw me, or a woman like me walk into a store, I would give her the big cart. And make my pre-menstrual teens walk off their cramps.

*ends rant*

*linking up with just write. Because, OMGEEE I can’t believe I even wrote about this.

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Crazy_lady_me says:

You were much nicer than I would be. I would’ve called her out on it right there. & probably stalked her in the store, letting the kids get in her cart & under her feet.

I’m impressed that you took the high road.

Also, I can’t imagine taking that cart for no needed reason – it’s a pain to maneuver in the aisles. It’s only worth it if it’s containing kids.

[Reply]

2. that rant was totally warranted. i hope she reads your blog and realizes what a douche she was.

[Reply]

3. Thanks for the laugh! I seriously needed it tonight! For the record…that is ridiculous. Some people are such jerks! Which is much nicer and much less-funny than what I would say if we were sitting here in my living room with me. :) haha!

[Reply]

4. I MADE a woman with a toddler take my seat at they gym tonight. Like, gave her the bossy finger and said “SIT.”
    I get it.
    Someday the rest of the world will too.

[Reply]

5. Wow, What a “B”! You handled it gracefully though, as I know you would. You are all so cute together. :)

[Reply]

6. Yeah, ridiculous. I would have been ticked. And yes, per my OB, post partum lasts the entire first year. I was so glad to hear that.

7. Melissa Peters says:

You rock!!! You saw that challenge and laughed in it’s face!!! Way to go

[Reply]

8. Look at Paul in that picture. He’s a baby and even he is all “WTF?”

I dislike rude people.

[Reply]

9. Who does that?!? For real, what is wrong with people? I mean, your biceps probably thank you, but still.

[Reply]

10. What is wrong with people? Who does that? Who takes a cart away from a baby an a toddler who could actually use it??

[Reply]

11. That’s outrageous! I mean…seriously?!?

The most warranted rant I’ve read all month.

[Reply]

12. I completely understand your rant. Last week I stood there long enough emitting loud sighs while holding my twins and making my six year old stand by until the greeter felt guilty enough to track down the bucket seat cart. I didn’t mind making the guy feel bad for me. I deserved that cart!

[Reply]

13. Are you KIDDING me? That is insane. I’d have given her a death stare down. And maybe even yelled at her, who knows. I have a hard enough time with TWO children. Wow. Poor you!

[Reply]

14. I was just thinking this today myself. Almost got into a rant about it on Facebook, but then I got distracted by making sure my kids didn’t dart into traffic in the parking lot. Drives. Me. Nuts.

15. Ginny Logan says:

Emily, that was a seriously awesome post! :) I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve gone to Tar…someplace and had to go to both entries to find that beloved kid cart that fits them both in buckles. I’ve even gone back into the parking lot hunting for one. I drive around and park by one. They are the prized carts! I have had the same situation happen to me where a mom with 1 is pushing her kid around and I can’t use the cart that would make my shopping trip a whole lot more pleasant. I only have 2 and I’m crazy about those carts. (p.s. I would have let you have mine.) :)

[Reply]

16. Rant on, child! Sorry people are so rude! :( You handled it better than I would have, for sure.

[Reply]

17. I would have totally said something to her, likely in a shreaky voice, not my own, just loud enough so that anyone in the vicinity would have thought I was a woman on verge of breakdown.

And then I would have walked out of the store, sat in my car, and cried.

18. Rebekah says:

wow…i hope by the time my kids are that old i won’t have completely lost touch with reality. andsympathy. she should be ashamed of herself. seriously!

[Reply]

19. That is just not right. It is right but there is non-pregnant or non-having young kid people parking in those special spots reserved for moms with strollers. Inconsiderate people suck!

[Reply]

20. Did you at least fantasize about racing her to the feminine hygiene section and putting all the tampons in your cart, then giving her a “so sorry, get your monthly supplies at a different store” look?
    Because I would have imagined that scenario all day long.

[Reply]

21. That’s ridiculous! I have a 12 year old and would never even think of putting her in a cart. Not even that she would want to as that is pretty embarrasing for her.

[Reply]

22. Why would anyone want that cart if they don’t really need it. That shit’s hard to steer!

Kate Reply:

@Tonya,

I was thinking the same thing! And with a 10&13 year old in it?!

23. common fucking courtesy people

[Reply]

24. See, this is why you are such a better person than I am.

I would have walked behind her muttering “fucking bitch” under my breath, except loud enough for her to hear.

I lack finesse & class.

[Reply]

25. I honestly cannot believe this! Ugh, people who don’t appreciate, or at least take into consideration, how hard it is to move around this world with little ones make me angry!
    Tricia recently posted..Naptime

26. Andrea - @ParalegalMom says:

One day were were at that same store, it was just me, hubs and B, who is 2. He spotted the bucket seat cart, climbed in and made himself at home. He refused to get off. I refused to take that care knowing that I had only one child and we could use a regular cart. We were there battling for 10 minutes. I finally won. And later saw someone with two young children using the cart.

[Reply]

27. I hate when people are selfish and thoughtless! You know the saying…what goes around comes around!
    Michelle

[Reply]

28. Totally had a moment like that at the zoo today. I am pushing a stroller, trying to keep hold of my two preschoolers (who of course didn’t want to actually ride in the stroller, balance a try of food and drinks and fill little ketchup cups. The whole time (which was all of 45 seconds, this woman, her daughter and granddaughter stood glaring at me for taking up too much room. And then all three stood by while I tried to get everything out the door without completely losing my $16 meal on the floor. Awesomeness. Why can’t people just smile?? Really>? ((((SIGH)))))

[Reply]

29. DUDE. That has me hot and bothered. (I could maybe go easy on her if maybe one or more of her teenagers were special needs, of course, but you have evidence of them walking and not really needing it.) I don’t say this ever but what a bitch.

[Reply]

30. Ok, I am mad FOR you! I mean WHO WANTS THAT CART IF THEY DON’T NEED IT??? That thing is hard to steer and unwieldy. It is for people with kids who are already unwieldy. Ha!

You are a much classier lady than I am. I would have been like, “um. I sort of need that cart.” But with more four letter words.

[Reply]

31. i get it. and there is NO WAY i would’ve taken that cart seeing you with four small children.

[Reply]

32. I love you more everyday Emily. This.is.awesome.

33. Michelle G says:

What is it with clueless people? aarrgghh! I call that shopping cart “the limo” cause it’s impossible to drive it…but sometimes the number and age of the kiddos in tow…means you HAVE TO! Some people are so self absorbed it makes me crazy :) I’d probably have stalked her and made “almost” under my breath comments on each aisle :)…good for you taking the high road ;)

[Reply]

34. Wow… and at our “large” store there are 2 cart options, one is the “car cart” and the other is a regular cart with the attachment at the back. With my twins and 2 small boys I can’t even use the car cart. My boys are very sad, but I can’t fit one car seat in the basket and have any room for groceries!
    At Target we don’t have large carts and you should see the looks I get with one car seat in the basket, one up top, a boy standing on the end and another one between my arms as I push!